[Pharo-dev] Bug - SmallInteger new: aNumber crashes Pharo

Matias Garcia Isaia mgarciaisaia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 18:18:00 EST 2013

As stated in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20621119/how-to-print-an-integer-to-transcript,
SmallInteger inherits it's new: message from Behaviour, so if one expects
SmaillInteger new: 0 to give you a 0, it really crashes the VM while trying
to Inspect the result.

Running it with an argument different than 0 (SmallInteger new: 10) raises
an error ("SmallInteger cannot have variable sized instances").

I think it would be really nice to have it just return the parameter, but
that's opinology - you decide how to solve it. The thing I think is not
subjective is that the VM crashes - that shouldn't happen.

Tested in #30649