[Pharo-dev] About Athens and Cairo

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sat Dec 14 13:12:37 EST 2013

For the moment athens use the form buffer so there is a copy that igor would like to kill.
Now igor got killed by the textEditor. I hope that he will come back in good shape.

The best things to improve the situation is that people with interest like you really invest to
understand the underlying library and approach because you cannot thing that they will be able
somebody below knowing everything and answering.

On Dec 14, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Alexandre Bergel <alexandre.bergel at me.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have some random questions about the Cairo binding supported by Athens.
>
> - the rendering is done by the graphic card isn’t it?
>
> - Once rendered, is the produced bitmap copied by the CPU in Pharo?

kind of. Yes there is a copy in the FormBuffer.

> With Roassal3d, we are facing a problem of performance because there is an unnecessary copy between the graphic card and the Form displayed by Pharo. I guess we have the same problem with Cairo.

Yes
Now if people would help Igor could focus on fixing that.
Now without textEditor = no Athens.

> - Is there an example of clipping in Cairo?

I thikn that cairo already handle it.