[Pharo-dev] Tell me about your workflow

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Wed Dec 11 10:39:15 EST 2013

Thanks. I'll have a look.

If this format solves the git merge conflicts, I'll be porting it. But
I'll make sure first it doesn't have the performance problems Sebastian
is telling about.

Because if it is just removing writing the metadata in gitfiletree, it's
a 5 minutes job :).

Thierry

Le 11/12/2013 16:24, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
> Thierry, I know there is a working version... let me search...
>
> (5 mins later)
>

> here:
>
> https://github.com/rjsargent/CypressReferenceImplementation
>
> Dale says Richard made a metadata-less version.
>
> We should take a look at that.
>
> Esteban
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goubier at cea.fr
> <mailto:thierry.goubier at cea.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Esteban, Sebastian,
>
>     In the filetree code, you will find a format without metadata, but
>     it's not in use anymore.
>
>     If you use gitfiletree, it will write the metadata for compatibility
>     reasons with filetree, but it will never read it back.
>
>     I'm pushing code to make filetree robust to absence of metadata, but
>     I haven't worked on it for a while.
>
>     gitfiletree has solved the problem of a slow metadata read. It does
>     not solve any performance problem associated with writing, yet.
>
>     Thierry
>
>     Le 11/12/2013 16:12, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>
>         I know there is a version of filetree without metadata (more
>         compelling
>         for projects that will never use other formats).
>         Dale told me that there was a preview somewhere, but I didn't
>         tested yet
>         (lack of time) and now I cannot find the mail...
>         Dale, can you re-send the link?
>
>         cheers,
>         Esteban
>

>         On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Sebastian Sastre
>         <sebastian at flowingconcept.com
>         <mailto:sebastian at flowingconcept.com>
>         <mailto:sebastian at __flowingconcept.com
>         <mailto:sebastian at flowingconcept.com>>> wrote:
>
>              I should breath before I type, but you probably already got
>         that I
>              meant /redundant writes/ (not reads)...
>

>              Anyway.. I was talking with Esteban and he mentions some
>         kind of
>              compatibility metadata.
>
>              If I'm going to give a leap of faith to filetree repos to
>         save code
>              why should I care about mcz compatibility? Paying a toll for no
>              reason is evil.
>
>              Maybe we could make that optional so those who don't
>         extract value
>              from that feature can opt-out?
>
>              sebastian <https://about.me/__sebastianconcept
>         <https://about.me/sebastianconcept>>
>

>              o/
>

>              On Dec 11, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Sebastian Sastre
>              <sebastian at flowingconcept.com
>         <mailto:sebastian at flowingconcept.com>
>         <mailto:sebastian at __flowingconcept.com
>         <mailto:sebastian at flowingconcept.com>>>
>              wrote:
>
>                  Hi Thierry
>
>                  On Dec 11, 2013, at 12:43 PM, Goubier Thierry
>                  <thierry.goubier at cea.fr <mailto:thierry.goubier at cea.fr>
>             <mailto:thierry.goubier at cea.fr
>             <mailto:thierry.goubier at cea.fr>__>> wrote:
>

>                          I have packages (in the order of hundreds of
>                     classes) and save
> [...]

Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95