[Pharo-dev] Tell me about your workflow

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Wed Dec 11 09:44:58 EST 2013

Hi Thierry

On Dec 11, 2013, at 12:43 PM, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goubier at cea.fr> wrote:

>> I have packages (in the order of hundreds of classes) and save delays
>> and package click delays are starting to demand patience in a way that
>> doesn't feel like the right path
>
> Which operations ? I didn't remember noticing much with 179 classes on a laptop without a SSD.

choose one. Just for clicking the package that will should you UUID, version and author I need to wait ~16 seconds. Sounds like a lot of overhead for reading a small .json file.

But the write is the most worrisome

>> All that is with a SSD disk, otherwise save delays would be /way/ beyond
>> unacceptable
>
> I'd like to know more, and understand the reason, for sure. As far as I know, filetree will rewrite the whole package to disk everytime... and maybe optimising that could be the solution.

Well, that explains a lot. Writing all every time is the lazy thing that's okay for a prototype and temporary code in a proof of concept but that massive redundant reads certainly doesn't sounds like pro software. Specially for SSD's which has a limited quantity of writes