[Pharo-dev] Smalltalk in a C World

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Tue Dec 10 03:26:52 EST 2013

I did a ton of Java (coding, training people, large scale deployments) and
Java has enterprise grade features. For large apps/clients, not much can
beat it these days.

If you need to staff a team for a sizeable project, not much choice either.

Things like this:
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/informatics/procurement/calls_running/index_en.htm
where you see things like in this page (
http://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:380314-2013:TEXT:EN:HTML) :

II.2.1)
Total quantity or scope:
9 600 person-years (indicative, non-binding) for all lots for the maximum
possible duration of the framework contracts.

I guess there are not enough Pharo-aware people on the planet to fit this
:-)
There, the choice is going to be Java.

Now, except when working with decent tools like Jetbrains' IntelliJ (don't
get me started with Eclipse), it is really annoying to type. I am even a
reseller of these products FWIW.

Other than that it is a fine language. And cool people do cool things with
it, like AOT (Ahead of Time) compilers.
http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jet.html or the JRockitVM (from the ashes of
BEA)
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/jrockit/overview/index.html

If we could get an instrumented VM like that, well...

For manifesting ideas out of my head, I do prefer Pharo. As a self-employed
individual, more power to me. As a startup junkie, more power to me. If I
need a Java or .NET guy, I've plenty of contacts in cheap countries who do
work very very well.
And f*ck Ruby on Rails. Now, I said it.

As I am currently reading Andres Valloud books, and trying out the
exercises, man, what do I know about how to make decent enough code. Close
to nothing it seems. That is what is great in Pharo, a community of great
minds. That you do not find often in a huge crowd as the chatter is too
loud.

</rant>

Phil