[Pharo-dev] Smalltalk in a C World

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Mon Dec 9 13:57:21 EST 2013

Esteban wrote:
> I'd prefer ObjectConnect shutdown their website rather than having that.
> And, at certain degree the same applies to my beloved ObjectArts and
> its Dolphin masterpiece.

What a nonsense - why should they shutdown their site if it is valuable
to provide infos and new downloads to their customers?

If you want to shut down any page that is not up-to date you may have
to shut down a big part of the internet.

> ps: Java is no Hype. You might like the language or not, but it has
> established throughout the last decade, and is the language/platform
> that runs on almost all devices. Only C can beat that.

I think mainstream is the better word here. I like Java and use
it a lot. Some days I dislike it when I see how complicated things
can get although there are better easier alternatives. Others feel the same
which is the reason for Groovy, Scala, ...
And there is no doubt about Javas and especially the JVMs place in the
IT universe.

But Smalltalk is (at least to me) not interesting because it is a
programming language - it is interesting because it is a dynamic object
system that is easily changeable (including metamodel and language itself).

And Pharo should not stop changing this object system until something new
and better comes out of it...

Bye
T.