[Pharo-dev] It would be too expensive to add a description for packages in Configuration Browser?

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 17:37:20 EST 2013

El 08/12/2013 19:04, Torsten Bergmann escribió:
> Hi Hernan,
> the problem is not the button - but the missing standard and
> standardized descriptions
> on the configs...

I see. Let's attack the real problem then.

> For instance I also write markup docu on my configs (see
> ConfigurationOfINIFile) - it
> is loadable as a usual config but adds two class side methods:
> #documentation
> and #tutorialOn: using the <onlineTutorial> pragma.
> The documentation is stored as class comment in markdown format on the
> ConfigurationOfINIFile class. I use the same description then for the
> STHub project page.

I am not a big fan of pragmas, but if people is fine with them I can
parse the markup. However I imagine that would require a parser
preloaded in the image...

> If one loads additionally the "PharoOnlineHelp" package afterwards it
> will also appear
> magically in my Pharo online help as a tutorial. This was my proposal -
> but so far it looks
> like nobody is really interested.
>
> Maybe because often this ends in "which syntax" discussions and due to
> the lack of
> good in image default text display facilities for markup, pier-syntax, ...

Please let's take a decision and live with it. The real point is that
only a friendly String saying "The selected package does this" would
improve usability, specially for newcomers.

Do not forget we can just enforce a method in the ConfigurationOf...

packageDescription
   ^ 'My purpose is to blabla'

> In general it can be done easily, but we have to agree on some kind of
> "common standard"
> for configurations and documentation on
>   - how to describe a package (also the format, either markdown or pier
> syntax with http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar
> <https://3c.gmx.net/mail/client/dereferrer?redirectUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsmalltalkhub.com%2F%23%21%2F%7EPier%2FPillar>)
>   - how to name the methods or pragmas that are used
> Stef also did something (with Catalog), the ConfigurationOfINIFile for
> instance has two supporting
> methods: #catalogDescription and #repositoryUrlString.
> Still Catalog uses Pier and is not really visible - and STHub does
> support markdown by default.

Ok, just waiting for a decision here.