[Pharo-dev] Pharo magic

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 17:18:28 EST 2013

Well I think the secret of success of Pharo with newcomers like me is 3
things

a) Documentation

b) Documentation

c) yes you guessed it Documentation

Coming from python I can tell you that the success of python and its a very
successful language popularity wise , is the fact that it has simply
designed libs and the community highly values documentation. Of course they
have a huge community to help out.

 In python new features that go inside the library are not just libraries
that people offer. They make first a pep which is a document that documents
the library even before the library is implemented, or the library
modified, depending on whether its a modification or a new feature. So
documentation exists even before code is written. But of course that
applies only for the core development of python standard library and is not
binding for external libraries.

If the library is external and is to be submitted to the python standard
library again a Pep need to be made by the author of the library or another
developer carefully documenting the library and its implication usefulness
for cpython standard distribution. So nothing goes in if its not documented
first. At least as far as I know.

all Peps are collected here -> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/.

Of course after implementation has finished peps are transformed to
official documentation submitted here -> http://www.python.org/doc/

So If I would have something to recommend Pharo to copy from Python would
be this. I cant think of a more important feature to have.