[Pharo-dev] Json case: Mapping objects to dictionaries

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 13:10:24 EST 2013

FWIW - The ElasitcSearch stuff only maps to Dictionaries because of an
oversight on my part.  It should be fine if those objects materialized as
JsonObjects.  What are you doing to get Dictionaries?  Its been a while
since I looked at the code.

To map domain objects I usually do something custom because I usually don't
want all inst vars being sent as JSON.  An example of what I normally do is:

#jsonWriteOn: aStream
	| y |

	y := JsonObject new.
	self varNamesToSerializeAsJson.
		do: [ :each |
			(self perform: each asSymbol) isNil
				ifFalse: [ y at: each put: (self perform: each asSymbol) ] ].
	y jsonWriteOn: aStream

and then when materializing:

fromJson: aJsonResult
	self varsToMaterializeFromJson
		do: [ :eachSymbol |
			| jsonObj class obj |
			jsonObj := aJsonResult at: eachSymbol asString ifAbsent: [ nil ].
			jsonObj notNil
				ifTrue: [
					class := MyDomain classForJsonVariableNamed: eachSymbol.
					obj := class isNil
						ifTrue: [ jsonObj trimBoth ]
						ifFalse: [ class fromJson: jsonObj ].
					self perform: (eachSymbol , ':') asSymbol with: obj ] ]

#classForJsonVariableNamed: just looks up in a dictionary that contains inst
var names as keys and classes as values.

That all being said I'd be interested to learn a better way to do it.

Hope this helps

Paul

Norbert Hartl wrote