[Pharo-dev] NativeBoost String Handling Bug?

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Mon Dec 2 16:31:09 EST 2013

I'm tearing my hair out wrapping FMOD! I finally isolated the Mac VM-crashing
bug (works in Windows) to:

The reason I suspect NB is that I made a simple Xcode C project which (I
think) does the exact same thing, which works perfectly. I uploaded it to
https://github.com/seandenigris/FMODExample .
To use it, just change SOUND_FILE_PATH in main.c to the location of the
included "train whistle.mp3" file

>From Pharo, however, it only works if the path to the mp3 is:
- *exactly* "/Volumes/NO NAME/Smalltalk/Working Images/Salty
Dog/Sounds/train whistle.mp3". No other combination seems to work on my
machine - even direct parents and subdirectories of that one! WTH!!
- or apparently a path without spaces

The thing that has me scratching my head is that even with spaces it works
from Xcode!

To see the error from Pharo:

1. Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'SeanDeNigris' project: 'FMOD';
        package: 'FMOD';
        load.

2. Copy the "FMOD Programmers API" folder from the C Sample into the image
folder.

3. FmodLibrary exampleFmodStylePlaying: '/path/to/train whistle.mp3'.

I'd reaaaally appreciate Igor or another NB guru (if there is such a thing,
lol) to take a look. I've spent days chasing this down, and I'm out of
ideas... Thanks.

-----
Cheers,
Sean