[Pharo-dev] Responsible development

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:25:26 EST 2013

there is also performance concerns. I remember once there was that code for
a fractal or something that let you define how many threads it would use. 1
thread was very slow , 5-6 threads very fast but more threads actually made
code slower and slower the more threads I was adding. And those were REAL
threads (meaning the could take advantage of multiple cores = real
concurency) , not greenlets as the ones used by pharo and python.

So there is always a catch. Concurrency is known to cause headache with the
exception of Clojure and Erlang both seem to make their users very happy
with their concurrency features. But both of these languages were based on
concurrency and not added it in as another feature to have.  These things
are not easy to implement.

I come from python , super popular language, tons of developer and loads of
people complaining how concurrency is done.