[Pharo-dev] method vs. selector consistency?

btc at openinworld.com btc at openinworld.com
Thu Aug 29 07:44:03 EDT 2013

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> methodsInCategory: aName
> 	"Answer a list of the methods of the receiver that are in category named aName"
>
> 	| aColl |
> 	aColl := Set withAll: (self organization listAtCategoryNamed: aName).
> 	^ aColl asArray sort
>

> allMethodsInCategory: aName
> 	"Answer a list of all the methods of the receiver and all its
> 	superclasses that are in the category named aName"
>
> 	| aColl |
> 	aColl := OrderedCollection new.
> 	self withAllSuperclasses do: [:aClass |
> 		aColl addAll: (aClass organization listAtCategoryNamed: aName) ].
> 	^ aColl asSet asArray sort
>

> uncategorizedMethods
> 	^ self methodsInCategory: Protocol unclassified
>
> all these methods returns selectors and not compiled methods.
>
> So I would like to rename them accordingly.
> What do you think?
>
> Stef

When writing about Smalltalk, I am often confused about whether I should
call them Method Categories or Protocols ?
I actually prefer the latter, partly because it reads better in prose
not having to write Class Categories and Method Categories every time,
and just Categories and Protocols.
Are the terms interchangeable? What is the official stance?

cheers -ben