[Pharo-dev] Filing in chunks

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 18:54:06 EDT 2013

2013/8/28 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:

> On Aug 28, 2013, at 3:14 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the "official" way to file in chunks in Pharo?
>>
>> I'm porting something from Dolphin to Pharo 2, with no purpose of having
>> compatibility between both (it is, I want to continue with it on Pharo).
>>
>> I've been manually "translating" the chunk from Dolphin into Pharo format,
>> but the problem is... I can't find a way to File In the file contents!
>
> you can simply drop the file on the world.

Simpler than expected. :)

>> Using the File Explorer, there is a contextual menu in the contents pane of
>> the selected file "FileIn Selection (G)", but as soon as I select some
>> chunks or the whole contents to file In I get a MessageNotUnderstood of
>> #fileIn in ReadWriteStream (the selected contents).
>
> this is a bug can you open an issue if it is still there in Pharo30

I don't have a Pharo30 image here, but will download one later to check.

>> I couldn't find another menu for filing in in a Workspace (expected),
>> SystemBrowser (Nautilus) nor anywhere else. I'm doing it with 'myChanges.st'
>> asFileReference fileIn
>>
>> But I was expecting more user friendly, like a chunk browser.
>
> No there is no such tools. We are working on a new change browser and may be we will support importing
> cs but I doubt for now.

That's fine, filing it into a new changeset and being able to go
change by change in the dual change sorter will do it.

I almost filed 200 kb of code (~70 classes) using the expression above.
Now it's time to polish what's in.

Thanks again.