[Pharo-dev] Debugger recursion

jan.struz public+pharo at struz.cz
Wed Aug 28 10:18:37 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I have a solution for the recursion in Pharo 2.0. (For those subclassing
ProtoObject, of course :-) )
If the subclass of ProtoObject implements #class, then the Debugger is happy
(will open a debugger).
#class is the first message sent by Debugger, to continue with full debugger
& deeper inspecting the instance, one have to implement the rest -
#isMemberOf: #isKindOf: #inspectorClass #printStringLimitedTo:
#longPrintOn:limitedTo:indent: #defaultLabelForInspector
#longPrintStringLimitedTo: (minimal set)
All of these messages pops up in debugger as MNU, and I am able to debug it.
(I hope this will be useful for someone...)

In the latest Pharo 3.0 (30351), implementing the first message (here it is
#printStringLimitedTo:) is not enough, I have to implement another methods
(ex. #inspector) and in addition #basicSize and #-> (in short, all of them,
needed by debugger).
Without that, I am not able to debug it. The good thing in Pharo3 is, that
the image is responding, and I can see what is happening in ProcessBrowser
and so, without interrupting.

Mariano, the Ghost proxies are really great, only I think the logging should
be optional and turned off by default. So it could be referenced by another
project and ready to use.
It's interesting to see the (no)difference between the debuggingMessages in
Ghost, and these needed for ProtoObject subclass... :-)

Igor, you are right, the possibility to break something is not a bug, indeed
:-) I know.

-----
Save The World!