[Pharo-dev] Recent VM for Pharo 2 on Ubuntu 8.04

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Aug 28 08:42:54 EDT 2013

Am 28.08.2013 um 14:19 schrieb Jan Vrany <jan.vrany at fit.cvut.cz>:

> On 28/08/13 12:54, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> for older systems, you are by your own. Is like that, yes.
>>
>> We cannot maintain all VM for all possible configurations. Nobody can do that, not even canonical, less us. Ubuntu 8.04 is just too old.
>>
>> Even JVM is not supported on Ubuntu 8.04: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/config-417990.html
>> (latest is 10.04... which we support, or intent to at least)
>> Also... we are not oracle, we have more limited resources.
>>
>> So , is not a workaround. Is the only reasonable solution: every software provider in earth supports a limited amount of system configurations, usually from some years ago, we provide at least the sources, instructions and support in the form of help/answering questions.
>>

> This is not the only instance of the problem.
> If I'm not much mistaken, same problem has been recently reported for Debian 7
> (Laszlo Zsolt KIss, 08/08/13 10:43). As Andres pointed out (08/08/13 14:40), it's libc is 17 months old. The proposed "solution" was the same - recompile on target system.
>
> To make me clear, I have no problem if you say "Sorry, we don't support
> anything older than 12 months. Or 3 years. Or ...". I just don't think
> that asking people to recompile whenever there is glibc dependency problem is "real solution".
>
> I'm very sorry for starting this pointless discussion.

Indeed, I don't even understand what is your point. You are arguing that offering binaries for download is pointless if it does not support a wide range of systems. So is there even a way to compile a single binary for at least every version of a linux distro over the last couple of ears? I so then name it and there are guys who will be lucky incorporating your strategy.
Arguing against the need of compilation is somewhat I cannot understand either. Of course every binary has to be compiled for every different system. The part that does make it work is the distro as a dependency tree of packages and versions. So Damien created this nice launchpad ppa archive that enables compiling the vm for a lot of ubuntus up to 10.04 which is over 3 years old.
For everything else you are in bad luck. This community cannot deliver everything someone things is needed to be a mature system. We tried already to add the vm to the debian channels but it wasn't possible. And even then it would only be for debian.
So to solve this particular problem you could go to [1], open a project for the pharo-vm and maintain easily the builds for a wide variety of linux systems. Problem solved, everyone is thankful. Complaining doesn't solve anything.

Norbert

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/