[Pharo-dev] Recent VM for Pharo 2 on Ubuntu 8.04

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 07:54:59 EDT 2013

for older systems, you are by your own. Is like that, yes.

We cannot maintain all VM for all possible configurations. Nobody can do that, not even canonical, less us. Ubuntu 8.04 is just too old.

Even JVM is not supported on Ubuntu 8.04: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/config-417990.html
(latest is 10.04... which we support, or intent to at least)
Also... we are not oracle, we have more limited resources.

So , is not a workaround. Is the only reasonable solution: every software provider in earth supports a limited amount of system configurations, usually from some years ago, we provide at least the sources, instructions and support in the form of help/answering questions.

On Aug 28, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Jan Vrany <jan.vrany at fit.cvut.cz> wrote:

> On 28/08/13 11:58, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> well... real solution is to compile your own VM.
>
> Really? Then why do you at all offer VMs to download if people are
> requested to compile at their own? :-) What would you say if you would
> have to compile JVM on every system you use just because the pre-built
> binaries are compiled against most recent libs? This maybe works in
> academia but not in real world. Sorry, I don't take it.
> That's not 'a real solution', this is merely a workaround.
>

>> we can offer support (but should be pretty straight forward, specially in linux systems).
>>
>> I disagree with the solution proposed in (2), the cost of maintaining such approach would be exponential.
>
> No, not really. There aren't many of those (at least, weren't in my case) and I found out that sometimes I could do better (faster) job :-)

you are invited to provide your working version, it would be cool for everybody :)