[Pharo-dev] what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Mon Aug 26 09:54:27 EDT 2013

... and Smalltalk should be renamed into Pharo anyway.

:-p

Phil

On Monday, August 26, 2013, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 August 2013 14:34, Camille Teruel <camille.teruel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 26 août 2013, at 13:31, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> the intent was to replace
>> Smalltalk at:
>> Smalltalk globals at:
>>
>> idioms with shorter one, and get rid of referencing Smalltalk global.
>>
>> The are not for solving future problems with introduction of
environments.

>> We want to get rid of Smalltalk globals because it currently resolve to
an instance of SmalltalkImage, a class that does way too much things,
including holding the currently unique environment, while a global could
directly refer to it.
>> Also the references to Smalltalk globals that where really wrong are
already gone and were in compiler.

>> And even if you introduce them, i still think you need a way to refer to
globals (they are likely to stay)

>> Globals are global to their environment. We could also call them
environment variable.

> Nope. In current system it is something else. It is a global variable not
local to any environment.
> And you will certainly have problems with old (and not so) code, if you
swap the meaning (and underlying semantic)
> of globals to anything else you may want.
> This is what i trying to point out. In this case, #asClass is good,
because it makes sure that old semantics will be preserved,
> no matter what changes we may do.
> It also will allow us to revisit all senders of #asClass and easily
change them to something else when we will be ready for that..
> and btw it will be much easier comparing to visiting all uses of
Smalltalk or all uses of ThisEnvironment.

--
---
Philippe Back

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast -
http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value
Added Reseller