[Pharo-dev] what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 04:56:15 EDT 2013

On Aug 25, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Camille Teruel <camille.teruel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 août 2013, at 19:20, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> We have now:
>>
>> String >> #asClass
>> String >> #asClassIfAbsent:
>> String >> #asClassIfPresent:
>
> I don't understand why we need this new way.
> Is it just to avoid calling 'Smalltalk globals at: #MyClass'?

exactly

> Because these names are confusing, and the 'as' prefix suggests a conversion while it's an access (with indirection but still a mere access).
> And #asClass has no sender.
> If you think 'Smalltalk globals at: #MyClass' is really too long to type, lets just create a new global ThisEnvironment := Smalltalk globals.

this was already discussed. With #asClass and relatives what you have is a better abstraction jut because you are decoupled of "Smalltalk globals", it is not a big win now, but it open doors to better designs with environments, etc.
At least, that was my understanding when the issue arise at the beginning.

Esteban