[Pharo-dev] what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

Camille Teruel camille.teruel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 03:40:46 EDT 2013

On 24 août 2013, at 19:20, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> We have now:
>
> String >> #asClass
> String >> #asClassIfAbsent:
> String >> #asClassIfPresent:

I don't understand why we need this new way.
Is it just to avoid calling 'Smalltalk globals at: #MyClass'?
Because these names are confusing, and the 'as' prefix suggests a conversion while it's an access (with indirection but still a mere access).
And #asClass has no sender.
If you think 'Smalltalk globals at: #MyClass' is really too long to type, lets just create a new global ThisEnvironment := Smalltalk globals.