[Pharo-dev] The Pharo Advantage: what is it for you?

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Fri Aug 23 08:49:59 EDT 2013

On 23 Aug 2013, at 10:32, "phil at highoctane.be" <phil at highoctane.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As part of the defense of a budget and technology choices, what would you guys list as a key advantage of using Pharo for creating software solutions?
>
> My current stack is:
>
> Pharo 2.0
> Seaside 3 (including Seaside-REST)
> Magritte 3
> Twitter Bootstrap
>
> + a couple of data storage stuff (DBXTalk, Phriak, Voyage)
> + STOMP
>
> + Amber if needed
>
> I've been test driving the whole stack for a while and even if there are some quirks, it looks like good enough for what I want to achieve.
>
> Now, my question: what is the Pharo advantage you would put forward vs other choices (like LAMP, Java, Rails etc).
>
> I am aware of what those could be but I am more looking for what makes you tick when using the technology (like: "it is fun to work with", "no more Java for me, due to ...", "speeds dev time by ...", "not NSA-backdoor-enabled")
>
> This is the kind of thing we should have in stock for helping the Consortium members get buy in from people giving a yes on budgets.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help! (BTW, I am going to use this on monday morning for defending our position on a significant project).
>
> Phil

A small team with sufficient real world software development experience, domain knowledge and practical Pharo experience can be an order of a magnitude more efficient than a larger team using a traditional approach and classic technology.

Pharo is a uniquely dynamic environment that is both very simple and very powerful. It allows its developers to focus on what really matters, without the complexities of other tools, while remaining very flexible. It is one of the few languages that are really object oriented and offer access to readable source code, all the way down.

The ecosystem around Pharo is strong enough to be able to deliver already existing solutions as well as the resources to build new solutions to specific problems.

It is an environment that attracts individuals that deeply care about doing software development correctly.

;-)

Sven