[Pharo-dev] [Pharo-users] The Pharo Advantage: what is it for you?

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 08:30:06 EDT 2013

2013/8/23 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As part of the defense of a budget and technology choices, what would you guys list as a key advantage of using Pharo for creating software solutions?
>
> - Pool of accessible experts
> - Pool of other software solution developers
> - Full stack access, no need to wait for another release to address a problem.
> - Growth of the community
> - Consortium
> - I saw in one bank using Pharo (not public unfortunately) putting stability of the language

I think Phil was referring to the technological/frameworks stack.
Sadly, IMHO, almost every item you mention is surpassed by other
non-mainstream or "trendy" technologies/stacks (JS, Erlang, Scala and
others).

One thing that, for me is a key differentiator is:
- how easy is to change code on the fly
- really complete debugging environment
- objects all the way down
- Easiness of the syntax (small, compact and homogeneous)

Frameworks come and go, but I really like and feel like an advantage
(even though the first two are not "Pharo exclusive"):
- Seaside REST (pragmas are really convenient way to define it)
- Magritte 3
- Zinc

I want to take a look into STOMP, but didin't have time yet. I also like Voyage.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo