[Pharo-dev] I would prefer to see the diff from Smalltalkhub than Git commits

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 15:54:38 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-17, at 21:26, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>> nope, the smalltalk hub diffs are clearly minor
>>
>> - they are auto generate, no manual intervention needed to send them
>> - they are only sent if the build succeeds
>> - they include valuable information
> like what?

I see exactly which classes and methods were touched with little effort.
Which saves me clicks on each package and then browsing through the diff on smalltalkhub.

>> - the github repository is the place where you go to find changes, it's simply impossible to figure out when something broke on smalltalkhub since you cannot compare multiple packages over multiple times
>
> I do not to go to github to see the diff because I will not do it and I want to see the code modified.

because?

> It worked really well in the squeak mailing-list we did not do it because squeaksource was on its knees.
> Nicolas will fix SmalltalkHub diff and I will see how the script loader can send the diffs

I guess it's a matter of taste. I know that I need the git sources to properly find bugs that were introduced by some faulty version.
And usually I control each changes made to classes I maintain, which is very easy to do for me when looking at the changes mail sent from github since I see the touched methods on classes.
A full diff, like what is done for VM-maker, is a bit too much for me, especially when it comes in pure text form (compared to for instance what I see on github?)