[Pharo-dev] NB and OS specific tests

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Aug 7 03:49:42 EDT 2013

Hi Igor,

NB includes OS specific classes and examples that will/may require OS specific tests.

IMHO it would make sense to change "NativeBoost-Tests" category into

 - "NativeBoost-Tests-Core"
 - "NativeBoost-Tests-Mac"
 - "NativeBoost-Tests-Unix"
 - "NativeBoost-Tests-Win32"

while still keeping "NativeBoost-Tests" as one package. Later the package can be
split easily (but only if necessary).

So we have categories for the NB Core tests and OS specific tests similar to the other
packages/categories.

I would further provide common superclasses for OS specific tests, for instance

 TestCase subclass: #NBWin32SpecificTest
	instanceVariableNames: ''
	classVariableNames: ''
	poolDictionaries: ''
	category: 'NativeBoost-Tests-Win32'

and similar NBUnixSpecificTest and NBMacSpecificTest also.

By overriding their #isAbstract method we can make their hierarchy only be runnable on
the specific OS. So the OS specific Jenkins slaves will show broken OS specific code,
Unix tests will not run on Mac, etc.

Therefore we can control that the tests only run on the OS platform and find
out when things fail.

What do you think? I can do it when there is another minute.

Thx
Torsten