[Pharo-dev] renaming method propagation

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Mon Aug 5 16:03:50 EDT 2013

Hi guys

I found a problem with method renaming. The scenario is the following one:

	- you have a message browser open with a list a methods (resulting from a sender/implementor).
	- you rename a method and you get an error

why because the message browser does not replace the currently changed method.
and  the RGMethodDefinition that represented the renamed method defines the code like that

MessageBrowser>>wrapItem: anItem
	| s |

	s :=String streamContents: [ :aStream |
		3 to: (cachedHierarchy at: anItem) size do: [:i | aStream << '    '].
		aStream
			<< anItem methodClass name << ' ('.
		anItem isFromTrait
			ifTrue: [ aStream << anItem compiledMethod origin name; space ].
		aStream << (anItem category ifNil: ['']) <<')'].
				^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	^ {s. anItem selector}.

RGMethodDefinition>>compiledMethod
	"Retrieves the compiled method of this definition if exists"

	| rClass |
	(rClass := self realClass) notNil
		ifTrue: [ (rClass includesSelector: self selector)
			ifTrue: [ ^rClass >> self selector ] ].
	^nil

category

	^ self protocol

protocol

	self isActive
		ifTrue: [ ^ self compiledMethod  category ]].
	self isHistorical
		ifTrue: [ ^ self protocolAtPointer ifNil:[ self compiledMethod ifNil:[ protocol ] ifNotNil:[ :cm| cm category ] ] ].
	^ protocol

So I patched the protocol method as follows

protocol

	self isActive
		ifTrue: [ ^ self compiledMethod ifNil: [ ' '] ifNotNilDo: [ :cm | cm  category ]].
		"I hate this ifNil test, the problem is that when we rename a method, a method definition in a list may still refers to
		the old selector and the definition of compiled method is that case is not finding the associated method because it holds the
		old selector and not the one corresponding to the one defined in the class."
	self isHistorical
		ifTrue: [ ^ self protocolAtPointer ifNil:[ self compiledMethod ifNil:[ protocol ] ifNotNil:[ :cm| cm category ] ] ].
	^ protocol

I imagine that the best solution would be that the tools update their contents but I wanted to know your point of view.

Stef