[Pharo-dev] Changes in the repositories for the VM

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 12:02:17 EDT 2013

Hi,

Ok, we finally decided to make some changes longtime postponed, to improve our way of building the VM.
Squeak guys are still using the old mechanism, so this just applies to Pharo and the continuous integration under the Pharo umbrella... but please notice that ANY vm flavor can be built with this source repository.

The first change was to put all sources together. No more MCZ files to keep VMMaker and plugins and platform sources as a GIT repository.
We are using filetree to keep source files, so is just like a different kind of monticello repository.
With this, now a commit is atomic and the platform sources will be in sync with VMMaker sources.
Also, that simplifies a lot the ConfigurationOfCog file, since the commit number is the version number... now we just need the baseline (not version anymore).
So now you can checkout a version of the repository and do:

ConfigurationOfCog loadGit.

and that's all :)

(from our point of view, this simplification is an huge advantage over the older process).

The second change is just a relocation. Now the VM source lives in GitHub :)
The reason of this move is because GitHub has a lot more functionality than the old Gitorious, also most of the people using filetree are already using GitHub so is easier for them to fork, etc.
Also, it is hyped so we wanted to be in that wave ;)
The new repository can be found at: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharovm

Cheers,
Esteban