[Pharo-project] FileURL don't works properly on windows

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:41:38 EDT 2012

On 27 March 2012 18:18, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2012, at 6:06 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> this part is closely related to command-line arguments handling..
>>
>> on windows things, which expected to work, like:
>>
>> vm image.image <pathToScript>.st
>>
>> fails to find the script, because it messing up with back/forward
>> slashes in path
>> and at the end it transforms an input into escaped slashes, which is
>> of course cannot be found in file system...
>

> right now we use Urls there because it supports to add URL as a "file".
>
> vm imageimage http://myscript.com/phato.st
>
> I personally think we should remove that. If you want to load a file via the network, just
> write a local script that does that.
>
> If we remove the network support for script parameters, we will directly solve that problem.
> (and we simplify the whole startup logic, and we make the startup not depend on networking).
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4057
>
>        Marcus

agree.. this thing is a bit overengineeeeered.
but in overall it is cool to have, unless it breaks a most basic usage
: hey ... a stupid file name passed as an argument!

we can remove it, of course, but it won't make a FileURL a bit less broken..
since things like that:

'c:\myfile.txt' asURL retrieveContents still won't work.
we should cover it by tests btw, since now we have windows..
but in order to run any test(s) we should fix this thing first :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.