[Pharo-project] FFI error message: Heisenbug

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 15:46:57 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu>wrote:

>  I'm working on GSL+callbacks, and have hit a genuine Heisenbug - the
> behavior changes depending on when/where I break and/or step over or into
> code.  Callbacks are getting hit successfully(!!!) but there is one
> function that crashes, unless I step over the call, in which case I get an
> error.
>
> In particular, if I step far enough into things to see the call, calling
> gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set() is raising an error (vs. crashing if I don't
> look<g>) that says 'No module to load address from'.  Anybody know what
> that means?  I'm using the CogVM on Ubuntu Lucid.

That's the error associated with FFIErrorNoModule, see ExternalFunction
class>initializeErrorMessages.  An FFI call will fail with this when it
can't find the call address in the first method literal (or when doing
ExternalFunction>invokeWithArguments and the receiver doesn't have a call
address).

--
best,
Eliot