[Pharo-project] Needs help with hang images

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:53:31 EDT 2012

I had such an image last week and I managed to get the stacks with GDB (this was on a Debian Linux. When trying the same on my Mac I had to force shutdown the machine… doesn't seem to work the same everywhere…):

$ gdb attach <pid>
In case stdout/stderr are not redirected to a file, we redirect them to your shell. Else, skip to (*).
(gdb) call (void) close(1)
(gdb) call (void) close(2)
Now, let's see which shell we are on:
(gdb) shell tty
/dev/ttyp1 <----- the result may be different (this is the whole point)
(gdb) call (int) open("/dev/ttyp1", 2, 0) <----- set the right shell here
$1 = 1
(gdb) call (int) open("/dev/ttyp1", 1, 0) <----- here too
$2 = 2
(*)
No, lets get some datapoints
(gdb) call printCallStack() // prints the current active Smalltalk stack
(gdb) call (int) printAllStacks() // prints all Smalltalk stacks
gdb) bt // prints the C backtrace, i.e., the stack of the VM interpreter
In case you use stdout/stderr redirected to files, you may need to flush to see the output:
(gdb) call fflush(stderr)
(gdb) call fflush(stdout)

from: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2032.html
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/533