[Pharo-project] Morpheas , bringing Morphic to Opengl (3d GUIs)

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 21 12:27:40 EDT 2012

The existence of a windowed viewport suggests you are probably headed in my preferred direction.  Having big text animated is nice, but I'm thinking of cubes and spheres in a scene :)

A long time ago, I used Wonderland to build a poor-man's 3d cad system.  I had convenience methods to (for example) arrange actors (with simple meshes applied) onto "shelves" and then stack the shelves.  Once the (fairly pathetic) model was created, I could cause it to spin and "fly" around it in a crude way.  It was very helpful at the time.  This was based in Squeak, albeit grudgingly given the state of its UI at the time - I much prefer Pharo.

I should find an old windows box and post a screenshot - I ran it not terribly long ago, and it "still worked" - no big surprise given the age of the machine that ran it :)

The Wonderland interface was pretty annoying.  Croquet's 3d object manipulation looked a lot better.  But don't even get me started on tea time...  The concept is valid, of course, but COMPILER CHANGES to do what could be done with event registration and some object composition?? - yuk.

Bill