[Pharo-project] Wait or not?

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:04:48 EDT 2012


On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>
> On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>>
>> Am 20.03.2012 um 09:23 schrieb Pavel Krivanek:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to ask you on your opinion about time scale of some big
>>> repackaging steps. At start we talk about issue 5520
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5520#makechanges)
>>> that should rename Morphic package to Morphic-Base. The reason to do
>>> it is to prepare Morphic and MorphicTests packages for the next
>>> reorganization, namely to separate Morphic-Core package(s) with
>>> content of the uMorphic image (the minimal morphic image with only the
>>> most basic subset of the Morphic).
>>>
>>> The question is if we want to do it now or wait on the verson 1.5. At
>>> start it is only the reorganization of packages that should not change
>>> any behavior of the system. On the other hand, we may expect that it
>>> will bring some sort-term problems.
>>>
>> This question is almost easy to answer. There are no things that do not produce side effects. So this is a no go in 1.4. But it can also mean that 1.4 needs to be shipped soon. Or just open 1.5 before 1.4 is shipped. But that might to be too much work for Marcus et. al.
>
> We did that in the past.
> Now we should get all tests green for 1.4.
> After only we should open 1.5 else… the fun will take over
>

To say now that we only need to make to two tests green is like to say
in late 19th century that we need to solve only two little problems:
black body radiation and Michelson's experiment ;-)

-- Pavel

>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>
>
>




More information about the Pharo-dev mailing list