[Pharo-project] Any theme or settings that will speed up a Pharo 1.3 image?

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Mon Mar 19 15:04:10 EDT 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Stefan Marr <smalltalk at stefan-marr.de> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> When trying to debug a Pharo image with a VM that is heavily instrumented with assertions and runs without any compiler optimizations turned on, it is crawlingly slow.
> (The good old MVC based image is blazingly fast in comparison)
>
> Are there any tricks to reduce/disable all the possibly fancy things like transparency, code completion, syntax highlighting easily?
>
> I already disable the code completion, and syntax highlighting.
> I also switched off things like animations, rounded corners, and switched to the Standard Squeak theme.
>
> Still, non of these cosmetic changes gave me the noticeable performance gain I had hoped for.
>
> Is there anything else I could try to reduce the amount of work the image is doing?
> It blinks the cursor in a text field in the speed I would expect.
> But as soon as I start typing, or try to interact with a window, it feels like I can go for a walk before the image is done.
>
> I noticed some absurd preference checking in standard images a while back, but turning this off made no noticeable different in optimized Cog.  Look for uses of Preferences subPixelRenderFonts, e.g. installStrikeFont:foregroundColor:backgroundColor:.  There's a non-local return in the default path on preference access.  So not having subPixelRenderFonts a defined preference method creates lots on noise when doing VM debugging.

in Pharo Preferences are not anymore...  #subPixelRenderFonts is send to StrikeFont and just
returns true (the default of the Preference). I think the idea was to add a Setting later if someone
requests it... and nobody ever did.

So maybe we can simplify that method a bit.

	Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de