[Pharo-project] Any theme or settings that will speed up a Pharo 1.3 image?

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Sun Mar 18 07:57:29 EDT 2012

Hi:

When trying to debug a Pharo image with a VM that is heavily instrumented with assertions and runs without any compiler optimizations turned on, it is crawlingly slow.
(The good old MVC based image is blazingly fast in comparison)

Are there any tricks to reduce/disable all the possibly fancy things like transparency, code completion, syntax highlighting easily?

I already disable the code completion, and syntax highlighting.
I also switched off things like animations, rounded corners, and switched to the Standard Squeak theme.

Still, non of these cosmetic changes gave me the noticeable performance gain I had hoped for.

Is there anything else I could try to reduce the amount of work the image is doing?
It blinks the cursor in a text field in the speed I would expect.
But as soon as I start typing, or try to interact with a window, it feels like I can go for a walk before the image is done.

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr