[Pharo-project] Dedicated to days of wasted time in your life, formatting source code for replacing spaces with tabs

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 16:50:40 EDT 2012

On 12 March 2012 21:23, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> Igor
>
> would it be not more clever to integrate keyMapper and add Ctrl-a Ctrl-e
> because has that since decades now?
It is orthogonal. Ctrl-a btw selects all text.. which kind-of
windowish behavior, but it is also quite useful.

> I would not integrate such change in its current state
>
> Because for me going back one character is important and it is important to jump at the beginning of the line

Stef, you can go back & forth by one character, unless you are at
multiple whitespace characters,
which is treated as single whitespace.

This is not my invention. I borrowing that from typography systems, a
white space between words treated as a single whitespace,
because usually, a typography system using kerning rules and adjusts
spaces width in order to justify text in a line so it will align to
column edges.
You can take any newspaper and see the effect. Obviously, nobody using
multiple spaces in text to align it..  because space width may vary.
And hence, no need to put more than one space between words.
Tabs having special meaning , however. Usually they used at the
beginning of line.
And usually again, you don't need to be able to navigate to each
particular tab character, you always want to navigate either to start
of line, or to start of a text.. and this is 1 key stroke with my
patch,
with one finger. no need to use ctrl-a /ctrl-e

> but that I know how to do it: ctrl-A and at the end Ctrl-e.
> Cut a line Ctrl-K….
>
> So ...

so try format the attached. and you will see a difference

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.