[Pharo-project] Increase populatity of Pharo by doing some Killer-OpenSource-Tools

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sun Mar 11 07:08:43 EDT 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Stefan Krecher wrote:

> Am 9. März 2012 15:01 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:
>>> A simple and good looking Ticketing-System for use in an agile team
>>> would be a good thing - it's a CRUD-Application with some Reporting
>>> and maybe some eye candy.
>>
>> Why don't you start based on experience to build a tool and share with us.
>
> i guess, that's what i'm going to do - my problem is, that i'm quite
> new too seaside and have no experience with building "eyecandy". I
> work at the server-side ... or deal with projectmanagement-stuff

make sure you have a nice model
and try and learn :)

>>> Is anyone interested in creating some OpenSource-Projects for use in a
>>> wider range? Those Tools should look "sexy" and should be easy to try
>>> (OneClick) or to install as a Service.
>>
>> Yes we are lot of people interested in that. Just quite busy.
>
> that's a problem.
>
> But let me dream:
> If pharo was organized as a scrum-project and if i was the product
> owner, i would suspend the current pharo development and instruct the
> team to work the complete next sprint (e.g. 4 weeks) on an
> OpenSource-Project for some general use.

like the compiler, like integration server, like building VM, like creating the next generation UI.
You see we are doing that. Now we only have one engineer and he is quite busy.
All the rest of the team is not payed to develop Pharo but to teach, publish papers and ideas.

> Imagine what a bunch of pharo developers could create in 4 weeks ...
> And if companies start to evaluate and use the new software, this
> would be a big boost for pharo/ smalltalk.
> It would be a complete new way of pushing an Open Source Project.

:)