[Pharo-project] Enjoyed the reading..

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 11:29:06 EST 2012

On 3/9/2012 5:02 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> According to this guy, we're using 3rd most powful programming
> language (or, well one of 4.. to not insult anyone ;).
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html
>
> So, we're not that bad, eh? :)

I think were pretty good. :)

I personally don't think anything comes close to Smalltalk when it comes
to approachability and power. Smalltalk brings power to people who
aren't necessarily "hackers". I am not a professional programmer. My day
job requires very little computer.

But, I have a vision for things outside of my day job. Smalltalk
empowers me better than anything else I've seen.

If you take someone who doesn't have their very soul invested in Emacs,
git, C/C++/Java/Python/languageOfChoice, and other tool sets. Or if they
are simply willing to come to Smalltalk on its terms and when in
Smalltalk do Smalltalk. Then you are offered great power with very
approachable tools. And I believe in Pharo's case, that approachability
is an area that will is greatly as the appearance, browsers and editors
are getting improved and polished.

There is much in the image I don't understand. That's okay. It doesn't
stop me from doing what I want to do.

Most people who find Smalltalk unapproachable, seem to want to bring a
lot of baggage with them. They don't want to start fresh. This can be a
problem for them. They need to let go, start fresh, learn what is here.
Then evaluate how they can apply Smalltalk in their set of tools. And
personally that is really how any language and tool set should be
evaluated, though that is rarely the case. I don't believe it is to our
advantage to lose our soul to try to make Pharo into the image the other
tools that are already available. Why have a Smalltalk flavored Python?
Let Pharo be Pharo.

I think the more we can empower the person who can come to Pharo afresh,
newbie or old pro, regardless of experience. The more we empower them to
create their future. The better the future for Pharo.

Pharo, power to create!
Pharo, empowering you to create!
Pharo, empowering you to create the future!

Jimmie