[Pharo-project] Smalltalk as embedded platform/language?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:16:53 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <
vonbecmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://wingolog.org/archives/2011/10/19/the-user-in-the-loop
>
> andy wingo discuss embedded vs extensions and suggest that extension is
> better
> because you put the user on the loop with better tool support.

yes, but this is orthogonal.  If one has a useful library in Smalltalk and
a client in a C/C++ language, then embeddability is one way to provide that
library to C/C++.  Rolling one's own socket-based connection is another,
but fraught with complications.  Basically embeddability does provide
something useful in the right context (hence my employer wanting me to
implement it).  That in no way indicates that dynamic language systems
shouldn't continue to improve themselves.  And being able to embed might
mean that occasionally a Smalltalk application gets much wider use than
might otherwise be the case.

--
best,
Eliot