[Pharo-project] We crossed 5000 closed issues!

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Tue Mar 6 09:20:54 EST 2012

On Mar 6, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Benoit St-Jean wrote:
>
>> Congratulations!  Now, we should aim for a much smaller goal...
>>
>> Let's make Pharo so good that we'll average less than 1.00 bug fixed a day because Pharo's code will be sooooooooo gooooooooood, rock solid and stable !  ;)
>>

> Keep in mind that these are mostly improvements...
>
> We could freeze Pharo and only fix bugs.  That would be easy.
>
> But is what we have already good enough for that? Do we have a future with Pharo if we only fix bugs?

It *is* a vailid thing to decide a question like that with: Yes, what we have it good enough.

This was done for example for EToys. (Even though I think etoys could have been so much more... )
But this is a valid decision.

Java is in the same camp. Backward-compatibility is the only benchmark, every move requires engineering
capacity of staggering proportion, yet what you can do even with that is very limited (and far from fun for anyone
involved).

The decision is correct for the market and situation Java is in ("The new Cobol"),

But would the same approach be good for Pharo?

	Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de