[Pharo-project] Filesystem onDisk and inMemory are renamed in 1.4

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 08:39:17 EST 2012

On 2012-03-06, at 14:22, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Filesystem is part of the Pharo 1.4 image and the code resides in the
> Pharo 1.4 repository.
>
> Essentially, as Lukas pointed out, this is a fork. There is absolutely
> nothing wrong with that, especially if you want to base the core on
> it.

right, it's the fork of FileSystem for pharo :), maybe can name the project
PhileSystem :D

> However, the problem is what happens with the changes. Do they flow
> back to the original author, or do you want to fork completely? Of
> course, a collaboration requires at least two parties to work together
> :), but it would still be cool to get the position clear.

- changes don't flow in this case, although this would be preferable for fixes

> Of course, some changes are internal and they have little impact on
> the end user, but sometimes the public interface changes, too, and
> that is more problematic. Case in point are the onDisk and inMemory
> methods which were renamed to disk and memory, respectively. This
> basically breaks any previous code that is using Filesystem. Is there
> a particular reason for doing this (the original names seem perfectly
> legitimate), or was it just a mistake?

that was done by me on purpose :) just because I don't care much about
english grammar in this case (in vs on) plus it's shorter.
and generally you don't prefix getters in smalltalk.

But I should introduce the backwards compatible methods again, since I
did these changes mainly for myself (since I was for quite some time the
only developer on the project).

It was not my intention to kill projects that depend on it :)

best
cami