[Pharo-project] MVP

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 21:16:55 EST 2012

Bill, since you working on it, please consider following.

Models & widgets:
 - all widgets which require a model/state, should require a specific
protocol for communicating with them.
 - a "real" model object may not support given protocol directly, and
for adapting it, there should be a model/value adaptors.
>From design point of view, it means that widget implementation should
be free of things like we see in PluggableXYZMorph,
which turned into a storage of bunch of selectors and code into
spahetti of UI logic and model logic.
All widgets should just send messages to model in a form:
 model doSomething
or
 model askSomething
but not:
 model perform: myOnClickBigButtonSelector

If there is not possible to connect widget and model directly, we
should provide a model wrappers,
which then could carry those numerous 'myOnClickBigButtonSelector' or
block closures, connectors, whatever.

Like that, a widget designer can clearly tell , what he wants from
widget's model, what inputs his widget expects and rest is not of his
concern. No any
onClickSelector ifNil: [ yadda yadda ] ifNotNil: [ (model undestands:
onClickSelector ) ifTrue: [ model perform: onClickSelector  ] ]....

this should be replaced by appropriate model adaptors, value holders
etc , so widget may keep own code clean.

We had discussions before, like why don't use blocks instead of
selectors. And the answer was that it is easier to find
implementors/navigate connections
with symbols than blocks.. Which is true. Unless model(s) could have a
built-in support for navigating and finding real guy behind the
scenes, who responsible
for taking actions etc.
And i think this is much more appropriate than manually traverse
through the hashes of selectors from a button nested into multiple
levels of widgets,
and models connected /nested in hierarchy too..

About layouts and layouts managers.
It's kind of fine to have proportional layouts, but it doesn't solves
all needs. Sometimes we want to "put it here" and "i don't give a shit
about layouts".
I dealt with nested layout since Delphi, and while they serve well
most of the times, sometimes it is very hard to convince designed that
his design
is not really fits into out technical world, simply because you
cannout "put it here" and designer "don't give a shit about layouts".
:)

So, people invented workarounds, like in modern browsers we have
absolute/fixed/relative positioning and z-levels aka layers.
Another approach is to control layout via anchors. I did some
experiments with it not long ago, and i think it is quite promising,
except that more thought needed how to organically merge this with
traditional layouts.
Anyways, here the link to original discussion:
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/046473.html
(and somewhere there must be the code)

--
Best regards,