[Pharo-project] Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Mar 3 08:20:28 EST 2012

+1.  I just (finally) ordered the book, which should help.  Three things put me off of this:

(1) (perhaps biased) how can Smalltalk code be fast enough?
(2) No examples, poor categorization
(3) The use of histograms in least squares fitting - I'm a parametric guy.

Re the dearth of examples, I created a few (attached) - barely scratching the surface, I know.  I'm really stumped on OptimzationDHB and #points:function:.  The method signature sounds like what I want to do, but I doubt that something as "simple" as

	DhbLeastSquareFit
		points:self sampleDataNegativeExponentialPlusConstant
		function:[ :x :a :alpha :b | a * ( (x / alpha) squared negated exp ) + b  ].

is going to be "understood."  We know that x is the independent variable and a, alpha and b are parameters to be found, but I have no idea how to express that to the code.  Any ideas?

It might be that I need to look at the optimizers, since most of my fits are really about minimizing residuals.  Is Levenberg-Marquardt anywhere in the mix?

Bill