[Pharo-project] VM , modules, packages and plugins

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 16:10:50 EDT 2012

On 28 June 2012 21:14, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:
> Igor,
>
> As you may or may not know, I am currently in the process of teaching Metacello to work with git/github and one of the pieces involves downloading and unzipping directory structure ... at the moment Metacello only works with package dependencies, but it wouldn't be a big leap to be able to manage non-source related dependencies so it might be possible for a configuration to declare a dependency upon a plugin which could be downloaded and moved to the appropriate location via Metacello ...
>

> If that type of facility would be useful, now is a good time to let me know, since I'm hip deep in that code as we speak:)

Hi, Dale.
Yes, i think this can be one part of the puzzle. I am unsure however,
how you can do that nicely across dialects,
because different VMs having different requirements..

But i think this not a big deal, because i know that Metacello already
deals with dialect-specific-ness in some way :)

So, here my thoughts about it:
 actually what we need is to formalize 2 aspects about VM plugins
(or/and  external libraries in general):
 - a way to detect what is available
 - a way to install if that not available

And, We should not assume that we having some centralized "repository"
or "registry", because
it is futile, considering the zoo of dialects*platforms*different
versions.... so defining what/where to download (and making sure it
works) should be the responsibility of developer, but not some
committee of high priests who deciding what goes/fits into distro and
what not.

And, of course i like it to be
a) simple
b) flexible