[Pharo-project] VM , modules, packages and plugins

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 14:36:21 EDT 2012

On 28 June 2012 06:43, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
>>What i would like to see one day is when i installing new code into
>>image, it pops up a message:
>>"Your VM missing an XYZ plugin for running this cool code, would you
>>like to download and install it? Yes No "
>
> The first problem is that there is no consolidated way to find
> the plugins. Or am I'm missing something.

Yes. But we should not tolerate a current status quo..
it starting really pedaling our efforts to improve the situation.

> Remember this:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/VMPluginOverview
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/omFiNcYAwvI6GB8z7r1j

yes, thanks for reminder.

> As ever it is a question of time to define and implement a
> working process.

So, my vision that it should not be something external which user(s)
must download
and install separately and manually. Does everyone knows that page exists?
Or, actually, why users must be concerned about those details: if they
found a way to load
the code which using plugin, the rest should be NOT of their concern,
a system must
do the rest automatically.

The code, which using the plugin SHOULD have the  knowledge about how
to locate the plugin
and install it, and of course, which version of it to use.
This , i think, could kill many hurdles in distribution process and
improve user's experience.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.