[Pharo-project] VM , modules, packages and plugins

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Thu Jun 28 03:26:14 EDT 2012

Le 28/06/2012 00:48, Igor Stasenko a écrit :
> Seeing another thread about "is XYZ plugin there or not" or "what may
> cause prim fail"
> i REALLY suggest that we should stop and think..
> This plugin's usage logic is inherently flawed.. (or i would say outdated)
>
> What i would like to see one day is when i installing new code into
> image, it pops up a message:
> "Your VM missing an XYZ plugin for running this cool code, would you
> like to download and install it? Yes No "
>
> In case of Pharo, we should really start thinking about delivering
> quality grade solutions, not something
> which might work if you properly jump 2 times and whistle 7 times
> while faced North"...
>
> Look at what the practices which become common today in modern
> browsers, and OSes - they updating themselves without a notice
> and just asking you to restart it time to time. Why we cannot do the same?

What about using something existing, user-level (for Unix/linux and OSX
guys) such as 0install ? I'm using it for part of my desktop and it does
the update/search dependencies/compile if needed. I don't think making
Pharo plugins and VM available in the 0install system would be hard.

http://0install.net/

(and it would work in allmost as many platform as Pharo does).

It would only require some space to host the feeds and the files.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list