[Pharo-project] Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:32:47 EDT 2012

On 27 June 2012 23:53, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be> wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2012, at 22:48, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> We should really shift the paradigm of assuming that plugins is there towards
>> having a nice error handling/presenting the reason why it fails, like
>> in this case
>> it should try and detect that plugin is not found/cannot be loaded and
>> produce correct error message
>> instead of "very informal"  primitive failed message :)
>
> If you tell me the proper way to detect if a plugin is present, I will add a better exception.

This is where we in one boat, Sven  :)

I added a new primitive
SmalltalkImage>>loadModule: aModuleName

which is step towards it, but don't expect it to be working outside a
pharo vms, because nobody else cares about that, and everyone else
seem fine living in sandbox, where everything is safe, sun always
shines,
and all plugins are in place :)

So, we really need to deal with that.. I grow tired seeing
"primfailed" walkback mails over and over again in different dusty
corners of our backyard (which VM is) and then educated guessing like
what could possibly cause it.. Wake up: system should tell us what
caused it, we should stop guessing and wasting our precious time on
false alarms!

So, in case of ssl plugin you can clearly tell that if that prim
failed, you know that there's something wrong with plugin, i.e. it
fails to initialize or not exists: so even putting more informal
message "there seem to be problem with SSL plugin (missing? no SSL
library installed on your system? )
will clarify a lot and prevent from wasting our time explaining why
that prim might fail or which VM has SSL and which might not.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.