[Pharo-project] Pharo and Namespaces

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue Jun 26 14:19:00 EDT 2012

>>> What happened to the project from Germán Leiva
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4I7fSVNX2A
>>
>> we do not want class level namespace because this is the mess
>
> As the sponsor for Germán's project, I have some interest in this topic. Stéphane has said a couple times that it is wrong but has never taken time to explain his objections.

We do not want to have class name resolution at the granularity of a class.
Why because it means that in the same package reading the code containing a class Foo could be a different one.
I'm saying that since years.

Now as I said our plate is FULL. If colin has cycle perfect for him.
Namespaces are not urgent.

So far we have on our roadmap
	- new compiler
	- cleaning it
	- all the tools been rewritten
	- new canvas
	- new event
	- systemNotification -> announcement
	- package and package metadata
	- UIBuilder
	- FileSystem integration
	- validation process of configuration and distributions
and I guess I forgot some works. So let us focus on finishing. Because starting something is the easiest part.
Finishing is the key part. 5% but 80% of the importance because if the last 5% are not done nothing is really done.