[Pharo-project] Persistence options

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 08:26:45 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Philippe Marschall <
philippe.marschall at netcetera.ch> wrote:

> On 06/26/2012 12:32 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> > 2012/6/26 Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de>
> >
> >> Regarding Glorp: how well does the Pharo port work with
> >> non-Postgresql already: MySQL, SQLServer, Oracle, Firebird, ... ?
> >>

> > They do all work with OpenDBXDriver. Of course you will need the OpenDBX
> > library and the database client library.
> > For Glorp, it is working for: Oracle, MySql, PostgreSQL, SQLite,
> SqlServer
> > and ODBC
>
> You should probably add that without an mt VM the drivers either block
> or poll. This is hardly ideal and not comparable to the "native"
> PostgreS and MySQL drivers that use sockets and don't have these issues.

Indeed. But it seems that with our "mini-locks" or busy waiting in the
image side is enough for the real existing users.
Nobody actually complained about this limitation.
In fact, in VW, by default, queries are blocking... they are *not* azync
unless you explicitly tell it. This is because creating threads also take
time and if most of the queries are fast, then it is even better the
locking strategy.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com