[Pharo-project] fulltext method search

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:09:25 EDT 2012

On 2012-06-25, at 09:54, phil at highoctane.be wrote:

> Ok, removed it. So now, I see a "method indexing" progress bar popping for
> a while repeatedly :-).
>
> Well, it works. And I tried it out:
>
>       "this is an instantaneous (~2ms!) search over all method sources"
>       Search default matchSentence: 'Convert to a String with Characters'
> {(ByteArray>>#asString "a CompiledMethod(108265472)")}
>
> I am looking into how to integrate this with Spotlight [which is really
> fantastic and improves productivity a lot!] (I guess I'll do another
> binding like Ctrl-Enter instead of Shift-Enter). So, how do you get the
> results? Is there a quick way to open the browser on a given CompliedMethod
> right away? (Ah! So much to learn.... Sound is working nicely now BTW, got
> a couple clues!)

AS you saw the #searchSentence: returns a list of possible method matches.

l := Search default matchSentence:  'copyFrom:to:'
SystemNavigation  default browseMessageList: l name: 'Messages with the string "copyFrom:to:"'

- Since it is really an early hack, I don't support case sensitive searching.
	I wonder though if that is really necessary... Since the results are not
	fully exact (e.g. some false positives are here and there..)

- Integration with system announcements is missing (I do not add new methods to the index..)

- the code is rather messy (half of it is still in uncategorized :S)
- no test coverage yet :D  (bad cami, bad cami!!)