[Pharo-project] FileReference should throw error when deleting unexisting files?

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Jun 11 19:41:20 EDT 2012

I generally default to saying "of course there should be an error."  I much prefer to get my bad news early rather than having to fish around or it after the fact.  Toward that end, I would recommend having #deleteIfAbsent: and #delete that provides an error-raising block and forwards to #deleteifAbsent:.  That is consistent with collections, which are not a bad model/source-of-inspiration for managing directory contents.

Having #ensureDeleted in addition to above does no real harm.  I would prefer that the selector start with "delete" so it appears close to the other methods in browsers, even w/o category filtering - makes it more discoverable.

Just my 2 asCents.

Bill