[Pharo-project] zip bug [IMPORTANT] probably related to the recent Zip changes

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sun Jun 10 23:26:06 EDT 2012

Okay, here is an issue:
Issue 6054:	Error when reading zip files with Squeak date/time format

with a fix attached and a comment pointing back here:

> Attached are two cs files that have a temporary fix enabling us to load
> mcz and other zip files, even if they have the old, incorrect date format.
> They should be refactored and there is a larger question to discuss [1],
> but they work under manual testing.
>
> The new behavior when reading zip file timestamps is:
> * parse as a DOS timestamp
> * if an error is encountered, fall back and treat it like a Squeak (i.e.
> incorrect) DOS timestamp. This may return an incorrect result, but will
> not cause an error
>
> The changes were tested by hand on Balloon-CamilloBruni.85.mcz, which
> Steph was having a problem with because there was 13 as a month index,
> which blew up [1]

The larger issue I was thinking about is: should we extend this fallback to
all DOS timestamp parsing, but now that I think about it:
* I imagine there's not much of that going on besides zipping, lol
* I think it'd be better to signal an InvalidDosTimestamp, describing the
change, and pointing users to how to convert their data, instead of silently
trying to convert

What do you think?

Cheers,
Sean