[Pharo-project] problem parsing XML

Usman Bhatti usman.bhatti at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:46:41 EDT 2012

I am trying to parse XML files with rest APIs but I am getting an error due
to the absence of this classVariable: NameStartChars.

I could also reproduce this error with this pharo cast from Laurent where
he tries to parse Picasa XML.
http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/02/rest-xml-parsing-and-photos.html

To reproduce the error, execute these snippets:

Gofer new
    repository: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport';
    package: 'Collections-BitmapCharacterSet';
    package: 'Collections-OrderPreservingDictionary';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfXMLSupport';
    package: 'Pastell';
    package: 'XML-Parser';
    package: 'XML-Tests-Parser';
    load

Gofer new squeaksource: 'XMLSupport'; package: 'XML-Parser'; squeaksource:
'Pharocasts'; package: 'Picasa'; load.

|photos|
photos:=PicasaAPI new
    searchPhotos: 'miles+davis' maxResults: 3.
PhotoWall new viewPhotos: photos.

The problem is that the variable is used before being initialized. I'll see
if I can produce a fix.

regards,
Usman